$5,000 worth of Springsteen tickets

Since then, Ticketmaster, which will handle most of the American shows on Mr. Springsteen’s tour next year, has tried to wear a white hat at least part of the time. Michael Rapinoe, CEO of Ticketmaster’s parent company Live Nation Entertainment, noted in an interview on “The Compound & Friends” podcast in May that many tickets to top concerts and other events now have higher street prices. Ticketmaster sold them. Why shouldn’t an artist keep most of that profit? Prices that are too low open the door for bidders to make more money than they make themselves — at the profit they make by selling at the true market price.

If artists want to hold that, Ticketmaster is ready to help and charge for it. And that seems to be what Mr. Springsteen is doing here, using Ticketmaster’s “Official Platinum” system, where seats “move up and down at variable prices based on demand.”

You already know what happened next: Those platinum prices were too expensive. Anger arose. A congressman from New Jersey yelled into the wind.

“It broke our spirits,” said Pete Maimon, a real estate agent in North Brunswick, N.J., who coordinates face-value-only ticket exchanges for longtime fans. He closed it for now, he said, fighting back tears. “We no longer wanted to engage in this plain-as-day scheme to extract money from fans,” he said.

Over the weekend, in an attempt to calm things down, Mr. Springsteen’s camp gave Ticketmaster permission to release some numbers. 1.3 percent of Ticketmaster users paid more than $1,000 per ticket. Also, 88.2 percent of tickets are “sold at value,” according to Ticketmaster, although the remaining 11.8 percent are likely to represent more than 11.8 percent of revenue per show at face value.

Who set these prices? “Promoters and artist representatives will set the pricing strategy and price range parameters for all tickets, including variable and fixed price points,” a Ticketmaster spokesperson said in an emailed statement. “If there are too many people with tickets who want to attend the event, the price goes up.”

Related Posts

16 great country houses selling from £450,000 to £6m as seen in Country Life

Our regular roundup of some of the best homes for sale in Britain is a holiday-friendly county home in Sussex. West Sussex – £5,950,000 An unapologetically charming…

Seattle’s housing market is headed for a recession.

What goes up must come down. That seems to be the motto of the U.S. housing market right now, with some of the nation’s most expensive and…

Ant Anstead Is Selling The Laguna Beach ‘Dream’ Home He Bought After Splitting From Christina Hack – See Photos!

There are some big changes for TV personality Anstead. On Wednesday Celebrity IOU: Joyride The co-host has listed his Laguna Beach, CA home for $3.3 million. Garbage…

San Anselmo adopted new rules after the garden was broken

San Anselmo has implemented new rules for community gardens based on how the city’s amenities are managed. The City Council unanimously approved a new ordinance Tuesday to…

Property: A thriving housing market in Dunfermline and West Fife

Dunfermline continues to be the “hub” for first time buyers in East Central Scotland. ESPC’s latest property report figures show that house prices in the city rose…

FOR SALE: Take a look around this stunning Wirral property with covered BBQ area and fireplace

The family home is immaculately finished and close to the beach. This beautiful detached house is for sale at £1,225,000. In the popular Wirral area, Hoylake, a…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.